I really don't miss reading physical books. I find it super convenient to throw my iPad into my purse and take my book wherever I want. However, one of the drawbacks of an e-book is that you really don't know how long the book is. I purchased The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt for my September book of the month but I didn't realize how long it was, and this September book quickly became my October book as well.
The Goldfinch won the Pulitzer Prize and seemed to be on the top of every Must Read list. The novel tells the story of 13 year-old Theo Decker and the journey he takes after he survives a tragedy that kills his mother. He travels from the upper East Side, high society living; to the seedy drunken debauchery of Las Vegas; back to New York; and over to the art underworld of Amsterdam. The reader sees Theo grow from that curious 13 year-old boy to a twenty-something troubled man. Tartt's story is not a page turner, but an intricate, intense story. I can see why it was rated so high. This isn't a quick weekend read, so make sure you have enough time to dedicate to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment