Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Texas Wedding Weekend

Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Hurt! Thanksgiving morning I flew down to Texas for Zach's little sister's wedding. It was an incredible weekend and I think I am still recovering a little bit from it.

All of Zach's family was invited to Thanksgiving at their house if they wanted to come early for the wedding. I am still amazed at how easily they fit everyone into their home, because Zach has a lot of family, and a lot of them accepted the invitation. They are all great though. I keep on meeting new cousins, and its like you are best friends with them the second you meet. Needless to say we had a great time Thursday night with plenty of good food and drink.

Friday Zach and I picked up a couple of those cousin's for a Texas field trip. We started the day off at Cavender's Western Wear. Maggie and Emily needed to properly try on the goods. Sadly, none of us walked away with any pearl snaps or Stetsons ... we had places to be.



We then headed over to the Fort Worth Stockyards. This is a place I've always wanted to go since Zach started taking me to his parent's house. We met up with a bunch of his family to have lunch at Cooper's BBQ. I'm going to go ahead and say it - it was the best brisket I have ever tasted. We all had Texas sized portions of meat and beer, then walked our selves over to the Stockyard's main drag. It was like stepping back in time to an old country western (with lots of cheesy souvenirs). There were cowboys riding their horses, boots galore, and plenty of Longhorn photo-ops. If you are ever in the Fort Worth area I highly recommend this destination.





After we got our cowboy/cowgirl on, it was time for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Rachel and Drew had a great Father officiating their ceremony. You could tell he really got to know the couple, and he loved to rock Birkenstocks. Rachel and Drew just get each other, and it was kind of like they were already married, so they weren't nervous at all. At the rehearsal dinner there were some great speeches (the best man had props) and a special performance by Josh Abbott. He is a singer huge in Texas, and Drew actually was his drummer back in college.



Saturday was wedding day, and Rachel was honestly the most low key bride I have ever met. We went to breakfast, and then headed back to the hotel to get ready. She turned on 48 Hours Investigation and ate pizza while her sister did her hair and make-up. Getting married today ... no biggie. Because of her low-keyness I didn't really mind that we were wearing 4-inch red pumps (how I did not trip, I do not know).



After the beautiful ceremony the bridal party went on the field at Ranger's stadium to take wedding photos. Talk about cool!! The photographer Liam was a spicy little Asian guy who liked to act at the pose he wanted us to do.





After pictures we headed inside the stadium to the Diamond Club. It was such a beautiful venue, with Christmas trees, poinsettias and super cool views of the field. Everyone had a blast at a photo booth that was brought in, and per usual, Zach's aunts tore up the dance floor.





I arrived back in D.C. on Sunday with achy feet (those heels got to me), completely exhausted and wishing I could relive every second of it. Great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the red shoes!!! great pick by the bride

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cute. I needed to practice in them though ... not used to heels anymore!

    ReplyDelete