I am a very mentally confidant person. Before I do things, I envision it in my mind going very well. I don't anticipate any struggle. However, sometimes when I try physical things that I imagine going so easily in my mind, it is a complete disaster. Examples ... trying to ride a bike for the first time, running a long race, ziplining ... The latest on this list - stand up paddle boarding.
Stand up paddle boarding is basically a surf board that you put on a flat water surface and paddle like you are kyacking. Zach tried it for the first time this Memorial Day and LOVED it. I was supposed to it try then, but the water was really rough, so I said next time. My bff Shelby is leaving DC soon, and this is an activity she really wanted to try so we all headed down to the Potomac yesterday.
You start on the paddle board by kneeling. This, I was okay with. I was nervous about standing up, but thought I would be okay after that. I didn't image just how shaky it would be!! Once I stood up I was not a fan. I was just so afraid of falling in the water, that I didn't calm down. I went back to the kneeling position for a bit to calm my nerves, cursing my willingness to try this latest activity. However after a couple of minutes I put on my big girl pants and tried standing up again. This time I was bit more calm and stable. Paddling is actually very simple, and I found it easier to direct the board than in kyacking. The view was amazeballs USA. I finished the hour without being completely afraid of what I was doing, but I don't think I am going to be an avid paddle boarder. The next time I do it I will have to be in a body of water I have no problems falling into. Though, for my more adventurous and athletic friends, I would recommend you giving it a try!
Hope you all had a great weekend. I spent today lounging, and it was just what I needed to prep me for another crazy week at work. Cheers!

Not sure I could do this either. Not sure if I count as one of your adventurous or athletic friends either. Love you!
ReplyDelete