Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Manassas, Virginia

We are almost coming to a close on wedding season. Woo-hoo! I am beginning to run out of steam, but I was so happy to I could attend my high school friend Preethi’s wedding this past weekend. Preethi is Hindu, and too my knowledge had a pretty traditional Indian wedding this past week (I mean, I don’t have much experience, but it seemed pretty darn authentic to me).



On Friday I went to her Mehindi Party where girls attending the wedding got henna on their hands. Preethi looked absolutely drop dead gorgeous, and hand intricate designs all up and down her arms. Henna starts as black gel applied with what looks like an icing tool when you decorate a cake. After you get your design you have to wait for it to dry, and then scrape off the gel to reveal an orange/brownish design. Depending on how long you leave the henna one will determine how long the design stays. Preethi was going to spend all day and night with hers on, so it should be lasting up to two weeks. I left mine on for two hours, and it is still going strong today!



Sunday morning was the wedding ceremony. It was nothing like I have ever seen. People were walking everywhere, drums were beating, there was chanting . . . my friends and I just tried to keep up. The ceremony lasted for 3 hours, but we had help from the program to try to understand what was going on. It was beautiful, and that I know.



Preethi and Mani’s reception was later that night and it was full of toasts and dancing. And boy was there dancing! My favorite was Preethi’s father who always wanted to be in the middle of the dance floor. Get it!



Congratulations Preethi and Mani! Thanks for letting me a part of your special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment