This weekend my little family of three checked out Theodore Roosevelt Island for the first time. The Potomac River runs along DC, MD, & VA, and there is plenty of stuff to do for fun in and around it. Teddy's Island is on the Potomac, and to get to it you park along The George Washington Parkway. Once you cross over a small bridge you are instantly transported to this crazy world that seems hundreds of miles away from the city.
The island is only about half a mile around, but it is filled with great trails. Almost as soon as we got to the island we came up to a clearing that featured a statue carved in Teddy's honor. It was positioned in between two really amazing looking fountains (the fountains weren't on though, I'm guessing you can blame sequester for that). The whole area would be AMAZING for an outdoor wedding, or secret garden party. I loved everything about it. After we passed the monument, we hit the trails and wandered around the island. It was nice that in the 90+ degree heat, the island was completely in the shade so we weren't suffering too bad. Several trails bottomed out to small beaches on the Potomac overlooking Georgetown. We stopped at one of the beaches and Riley immediately jumped in to chase the ducks. If it wasn't the gross Potomac water, I would have joined herThe views were gorgeous! Walking back to our car I was just amazed at how far away from DC we seemed. I have never seen that many butterflies!
If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend a trip to Teddy's Island. A hidden gem indeed.


No comments:
Post a Comment