This time last week Riley and I were on our way to Boone, NC for the very first time. My kick-ass cousin lives there, and although she has been up to DC a million times, I have never been down to see her in her surroundings. I am awful, I know.
After a very enlightening drive (oh this is where JMU is? oh Virginia Tech is here), Riley and I arrived at Drew's home. Her and her bf rent this house that when you walk in seems straight out of HGTV. It is the definition of a mountain get away. Beautiful wood, old school fire place, granite kitchen ... it just really takes your breath away. We then headed off for a hike so Riley and I could stretch our legs. Drew was a rather adventurous tour guide, we definitely crossed a few more ponds that we needed to, but the hike was awesome. After going through the woods we got to this open pasture that looked liked it was part of a movie set. We're not in DC in anymore!
Saturday we explored the less outdoorzie side of Boone. In the morning we dined on biscuits and cheese grits, and Drew and Brendan showed me the General Store and App State. There was a trip to the outlets to look for gifts for my future nephew, then relaxing pedicure. It seems in North Carolina complimentary wine is often served in salons, and this is a trend I can really get behind. And although I have been to one in DC, we had dinner at Mellow Mushroom in downtown Boone. It was, as expected, delicious.
The weekend would have been absolutely perfect, except the ride home was at least four treacherous hours of driving down a mountain in snow and freezing rain. Evidently mother nature doesn't want to share the spring weather with anyone yet. Thanks Drew!!


No comments:
Post a Comment