I walked into Harris Teeter Thursday night, only to be greeted with no shopping carts. Mentally going over the items, I needed, I knew a little basket would not suffice. I then took the curb and stalked a man loading his groceries into his car for his cart. Desperate?? Just a little. Then I began my shopping. My goal was to get ingredients for Turkey Chili. I think that must have been a goal for many other people. There were only 2 green peppers left in the store and they were looking pretty busted, but I did find a lone package of 2 organic green peppers. Score. I had a similar predicament with onions, bread, and eggs. Milk however, was not a problem.
The real problem during my shopping trip was when I had to go down the aisles. The lines were so long, carts reached halfway down the aisles. So when one side is full of carts, and the other side is filled with a certain girl struggling to find a can of tomatoes in puree, and 2 cans of tomatoes paste (did you know there are like 8 kinds of canned tomatoes??), with everyone else and their brother trying to get through, certain complications arise.

Well I finally collected my groceries and took my place in line, halfway through aisle 4. I made a mental note to check my watch: 6:35. At 7:25 I exited Harris Teeter. Amazingly, still with my sanity. The one saving grace of the whole experience was, people were actually very nice. If we had all been stuck on the metro for that long - that would be a whole ‘nother story. Hope all you DC/MD/VAers survive the blizzard and the grocery stores okay!
I too have to venture to the grocery yesterday. The food selection was poor, it was very crowded...And oh, there was also a rat running around the store. Looks like humans are not the only ones freaking out. EW!
ReplyDelete