Thursday, February 27, 2014

February Book of the Month - Dark Places



For my read one book a month challenge I selected Dark Places by Gillian Flynn as my February reading. I read that article going around on Pintrest "12 Books You Should Read Before They Go To Film," and this was one of them. She also wrote Gone Girl, a mystery that I loved! So I was feeling pretty good that I would like this one. 

Dark Places is the story of a grown up Libby Day. She is a miserable person, but a semi celebrity, because when she was seven years old almost all of her family was murdered, and her testimony put her brother away for life for committing those murders. She has been living off charity money she received from that but is now about broke. This is when she is approached by the Kill Club - a group that investigates famous murders. They pay her to come to a meeting and eventually convince her to look closer in to the murders. The story then switches in between flash backs from family members on the day of the murders, and Libby's present day search for answers.

Flynn can definitely write a good mystery. She has a knack for throwing a wrench into the story that you will absolutely can't predict. It took me a couple chapters to get into the story, but after that I really liked the book. However... it is very dark and twisty. February is a gloomy enough month, I could have done with something a bit more uplifting. So for March I am in such for a light, fun book. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment