Friday, April 11, 2014

20 on my 20s ... a look back

Over a decade ago  (Yikes!) I was sitting in my Political Science class at Elon. Some how we got on the topic of your twenties and my professor said something to the effect of, “Oh I couldn’t wait to get out of my twenties. Thirties is the time in your life that you are really going to enjoy." A lot of my twenties was a very confusing time. The whole “what do you want to do for the rest of your life” question is just front and center. I still haven’t figured that out! It was sometimes a very lonely, isolating time, but it was also the best part of my life. Granted I was entirely financially dependent on my parents in college, but once I graduated, I picked the city I wanted to live in, I got a job on my own that supported the apartment I wanted to live in, and my life became the life that I created. I am so happy with this life and looking back on my twenties, I am humbled by the amazing adventure it has been. Do I want to be 30? Eh, it’s a little scary to see the numbers creeping up, but I am excited about the experiences I will have now that I am at the age where that is possible. So now on the last day of my twenties, I look back ...


1.     Studied in London for three months. I fell in love with city living and traveled to Rome, Zurich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, and Dublin.


2. Graduated from Elon University. I really couldn't have picked a better place to go to college, and it will always have a special place in my heart. 


3. Made the best decision ever and moved to just outside of D.C. right after college.

4. 
This led to the very interesting living arrangement of me moving in with 2 girls, a guy, and a dog. I learned that living arrangements at any age are never easy. This includes where you live, and whom you live with. Grand total for my twenties ... 8 roommates, 9 apartments/houses.

5. Have had four "real world" jobs. Lamest job task - going out to purchase a bulk pack of sympathy cards for my boss, because to quote him, "there are a lot of being dying out there Susan." Coolest task - designing a logo for the 700-person gala I planned that appeared on Georgetown cupcakes.


6. After a lot of protesting and self doubt, I learned how to run. And now it has probably become one of the biggest aspects of my every day life.


7. Tried Match.com twice. The second time worked our Really Well.


8. Traveled to Greece with my mom and sister before the country went into financial chaos. Great vacation, even better timing.

9. Became a mother to a beautiful, crazy springer spaniel, Riley. She melted my heart and I am forever ruined for any future dogs I might have. She could not be more perfect.


10. Attended at least 15 weddings, and have 3 black bridesmaid dresses.  I learned that weddings can quickly turn from a really fun vacation, to an extremely stressful money pit. A beautiful, lovely, money pit that is:)




11. I learned that friendships you don’t expect will fade, and friendships you don’t expect will be some you treasure most.


12. I learned that it is just as important to make yourself happy, as it is to be with someone who makes you happy.

13. Completed a session of Weight Watchers. It taught me how to eat and be healthy, even if I don’t follow the rules all the time. Consequently I will enter my 30s at a lower weight than I entered my 20s. Boo yeah!

14. I met, fell in love, and married my perfect match. Zach showed me what real love is, and I am so excited to have a partner in all future decades.


15. Received a storybook marriage proposal that was followed by wedding weekend full of love that I just adored.


16. I learned how to ride a bike at the age of 29. Yes, I know, a couple decades late.

17. I learned that saving money is EXTREMELY important, because those just in case scenarios will happen. That money helps keep you being able to be the independent person you strive to be.


18. Zip-lined in Mexico and climbed up a waterfall in Jamaica. Both activities had me fearing for my life, and breaking my dream of ever being on the Amazing Race.


19. I added another set of families to my already overflowing family. These are some of the most wonderful people, and I feel very blessed that they are now permanent additions in my life.


20. With the help of my husband and girlfriends I checked several U.S. travel destinations of my bucket list - Boston, Chicago, Charleston, San Francisco, and San Antonio to name a few.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fun post, Sooze! Love seeing all of the milestones in one place! Cheers to 30!!

    ReplyDelete