Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Books of the Month - August

In the past five years I have gone to my fair share of weddings. They've been as small as 50 people, as large as 2,000; as close as a thirty minute drive, and many, many as a flight away; family weddings, weddings for people I hardly know, and weddings for close friends. My friend was chatting about how her mom was reading Save the Date: The Occasional Mortifications of a Serial Wedding Guest, by Jen Doll and I was intrigued. 2014 is a busy wedding year so I thought I would add it to my must read list. Save the Date is a true story account of the author's wedding guest history. I think we all could relate to her through one of her stories. She covers destination weddings, small hometown affairs, and big city to-dos. She is single, in a serious relationship, and in the wrong relationship all throughout the book. I thought Save the Date was an interesting read, but I would suggested waiting for a friend to lend it to you rather than buying it. 

Another friend recommended Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson to me, and I know why. It is a collection of hilarious short stories by Jenny, a writer who grew up poor in a small Texas town. Each chapter goes into another stage of her life, and you almost can't believe her stories. They are just a little too awkward and over the top, but they are the truth! I hate to admit it though, I had trouble finishing the book. I think I am just not a fan of short stories. It is nothing against the book; I had trouble with Tina Fey's BossyPants too, and we all know she is hilarious. If you are a fan of short stories, I would recommend this book. 

I know it is not September yet, but I have started The Goldfinch by Donna Tart. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment