Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer Travel: New York City


When I parted ways with my girlfriends in Boston I headed to the bus station downtown. Next stop - NYC! My father-in-law was going to be in town for when the Rangers played the Yankees, so Zach and I decided to meet in the city so we could spend some quality time with him. Since I was already up north, I trained down and Zach drove up. 


When we arrived in the city on Sunday evening we got changed and hopped on the Subway (NYC subway, seriously, I don't get you) to meet Zach's cousin Emi who literally moved to the city a couple weeks before hand. We got to see her four story walk up apartment ... SMALL, but very cute. Her and her roommate both had separate jobs in NC, but both got job offers the SAME week. The packed their bags, and the rest is history. Very proud of them. Zach walked me, Emi and her roommate over to Little Italy where we dined on pizza, pasta and peronis. 


Originally the Rangers were supposed to have an afternoon Sunday game in St. Louis, but then they were moved to the Sunday night game of the week. Then the game was in a 3 hour rain delay, so my father-in-law did not get to our hotel until 7:30 am Monday morning. Zach and I let him sleep and headed down to Brooklyn. I have never been, and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was on my NYC bucket list. Zach took us along the Brooklyn Promenade, his favorite spot and best view of the city, and we walked across the bridge (a first time for both of us). I loved it! We wandered around the Financial District for a bit and then met my FIL at the Chelsea Market. 


Chelsea is a very cool party of the city. There are not as many high rises, and you have a more neighborhood feel. There are tons of uber trendy stores (DVF, Tory Burch ...) and delish looking restaurants. It is also home to Chelsea Market, an enclosed, exposed brick food market filled with store after store of delish looking foods. Appropriately, it is also home to the Food Network. We got to go up and get a little tour of their offices. We saw the test kitchens and the empty studio where they are going to start filming Iron Chef America in a few weeks. It was very cool to get that insiders tour. 


After that we left the market and walked along the HighLine. The HighLine is an old railroad track above Chelsea that has been converted into a park. A park in the middle of NYC is very surreal, and beautiful.  At the end of the HighLine was Zach's favorite bar - The Standard - an outside beer garden. You buy tickets for pints of beer and german pretzels. We all loved being outside, taking in the city, and the boys played some ping pong. We ended the evening at a burger joint recommended by our Food Network friend. All in all in all it was an amazing visit to NYC with lots of quality family time. 


Next stop - Charlotte, NC!


No comments:

Post a Comment