Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Macungie, Pennsylvania and Georgetown

My Saturday travels brought me to two entirely differently places in the U.S. I mean entirely different!

Saturday morning Zach, Riley and I drove up to Macungie, PA for a "cousin" reunion on my Dad's side. While I only have six first cousins on my dad's side, my Dad is part of vast cousin network, spanning generations and once-, twice- three times-removed status. These cousins were always around whenever we went to visit my grandparents, but my father always addressed them as "Cuz", so I never really got a good grasp on every ones' names (Thanks Dad). This really got me in trouble when I tried to introduce Zach to everyone. Introducing them as Cuz wasn't really an option.

My Aunt and Uncle hosted everyone at their great home, and it was wonderful to see everyone. Just a real good atmosphere. Living in Macungie will just never be an option for me though. Great people, but when the biggest attraction in a town in the Macungie Iron Pigs, its just not going to cut it for me.

The three of us traveled back to Arlington, collapsing on the couch for a late dinner. Just before it was time to call it a night, I got a call from my cousin's husband George. He was out in Georgetown with buddies and wanted Zach and I to join him. Now it takes a lot to motivate me to leave my comfortable couch late night to go out to a place like Georgetown (just a little too fratty for me), but we are huge fans of George, so we got ourselves on the metro and headed out there. Heading from rural Pennsylvania to preppy Georgetown is quite a cultural shock, but good people are good people. We caught up, danced around, a had a few drinks, and George even managed to stay awake the whole time!! (He has the tendency to fall asleep at bars) All in all it was a great family filled Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment