Monday, August 30, 2010

Date Night - Washington Monument



Last Tuesday I planned a little date night. I’m trying to break out of my usually routine of just going home after work and vegging on the couch watching tv. So during work one day, when I was lacking in productivity, I came across a great activity for Zach and I – a tour to the top of the Washington Monument. Now for awhile I didn’t know that you could go up to the top of the monument (D.C.’s most famous pencil), but its free and done every half an hour, all you need to do is get tickets. I reserved two tickets for the 7:30 tour (trying to hit it as the sun was setting), and told Zach to block off the date.



He met me after work and we walked over the Einstein Memorial. This has been on my D.C. must-do list and I thought it was the perfect day for it. Off Constitution and 23rd there is a hidden memorial to Albert Einstein. It’s this gigantic statue of him, and most people in D.C. have never seen it because it’s just hidden back there. We had a great time taking pictures there and getting up close and personal with Al.





From there we turned around and walked back in the direction of the Washington Monument. We walked through West Potomac Park, another first, and picked a nice park bench near the Vietnam Memorial to enjoy a bottle of wine and cheese and crackers that I bought. This was highly enjoyable until the squirrels found us … time to move.



After stumbling through a couple other new landmarks we made our way up to the base of the Pencil. We took the elevator up and let me say, it is pretty cool up there! There are two viewing windows on each side. On top of each window is a map pointing out landmarks of what you are looking at. You have to be a little patient with the other people taking pictures from the windows, but once you get up close, it is worth it. There are amazing views on every side. I would highly recommend this if you are ever in the D.C. area.



No comments:

Post a Comment