Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day


Happy Memorial Day! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We dropped the Starkeys off at the airport a couple hours ago and I am exhausted from our very fun visit with them. Here are a few highlights:

Saturday we took a twilight boat tour on the Potomac. We enjoyed views of the monuments and some interesting people watching while we sipped on Coronas.

After dinner at Lauriol Plaza we ended up at Dan's Cafe in Adams Morgan. Zach went there one night before he met me and has been raving about the dive bar ever since. I honestly doubted the place would live up to all his hype, but it was truly, awesomely, horrible. The bar serves drinks in squeeze bottles, which we all split, toasting to Dan and his cafe. 

Sunday we started off the morning with brunch at Founding Farmers. The boys really wanted chicken and waffles, a combination that I still don't get, and this was the place to go. If you are looking for the best bacon in DC, scoot on over to Founding Farmers. 

To burn off the brunch we walked around the Newseum. This is my third time at there, but they added a new exhibit about JFK and Camelot that I really enjoyed. The 9/11 coverage gets me every time. 

We went back to the Potomac and rented paddle boards and kayaks to go out on the water. Zach tried paddle boarding, Becky and Rankin shared a kayak and I took one out by my self. They did amazing, but went with the wind I just kept kayaking in circles. Yes, I felt like a special kid. The amazing views of going under the Key Bridge made up for it though. 

Sunday night I missed the memo and got us to the metro after it closed for the night. We found the most amazing cab driver though who got us back to Bethesda in record time. It was truly a wonder.

Living in Texas has a lot of advantages, but you really can't get out there and crack open fresh crabs. That was todays goal to satisfy Becky's craving. We went to Mikes near Annapolis and sat out on a deck and ate crabs and drank orange crushes. It felt like a real vacation just 45 minutes away. 

Thanks for the amazing visit! And thanks to all our military for what you have done and what you have yet to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment