This week my boss emailed my co-worker and I to ask if we wanted to volunteer for the Help the Homeless charity that goes on in D.C. We would be going to an elementary school to read to kids about homelessness, and then watch them go on a "mini-walk" that would raise money for the larger Walk for the Homeless event that takes place later this November. I signed up because a. I got to get out of work for a little bit during the day and b. it would be really nice to feel like I was contributing a little bit to society. Planning events for lawyers isn't exactly benefiting humanity, so I really liked the idea of doing something good.
I arrived at an elementary school in Georgetown and found my group of volunteers. I asked for the book with the smallest words (don't want to screw up!) and was given Mr. Bow Tie and directed into a Kindergarten class.
Is it weird that I got nervous about the thought of reading a book to little 5 year olds?? I definitely was!! The kids were really cute, and dressed up for Halloween. There was one little boy with Down Syndrome dressed up as a Viking that particularly melted my heart. Thankfully I got through my story with out tripping up, and with out the kids throwing a revolt. I was supposed to talked to them about homelessness after I was done reading, so I asked them what they thought of the story. A mini-Iron Man told me he liked the colors ... clearly we were not going to be having an in depth talk :) The concept might have been lost on them, but hopefully the older kids got a little more out of it.
Happy Halloween everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment