Monday, August 1, 2011

Louie Mueller BBQ

In D.C. you wait in line for cupcakes … in Texas you wait in line for BBQ. Saturday Zach took me to this itty bitty town about 15 miles away called Taylor, Texas for some of Texas’ finest BBQ. I have had some amazing BBQ throughout our travels, and he said this would trump them all, so I was pretty excited. We drive up to the restaurant and I don’t think anything has been renovated in this town since the 60s. The parking lot is packed and full of potholes. We entered the building through torn up screen doors and take our place at the back of the line. I could not believe this place. It was a huge dining hall with a huge BBQ smoker oven in the back and fans everywhere because there was no air condition. All the memorabilia, posters and Texas flags on the walls had turned a shade of brown, covered with years and years of BBQ smoke.


After the first five minutes in line when we hadn’t moved an inch we looked at each other and knew we were in for the long haul. The only thing I could relate this too was the line on any given day to go get Georgetown Cupcakes. As we inched up in the line we got to read some of the faded articles on the wall. Zach was not kidding; the restaurant was featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and has been continuously ranked as Texas’s top BBQ. We almost got to the counter when I saw the most shocking, the little dump we were in was actually the home of a James Beard (the Oscar’s of food) winner. After all of my days of watching Top Chef, I always thought it would be cool to go to a restaurant with a fancy schmancy chef like that and here I was!


Any ways, an hour later we sat down with a plate full of delicious brisket, ribs and sausage (yes we were piggies, but we didn’t eat it all). It definitely lived up to the hype. So if you love yourself some delicious BBQ meat and happen to be driving through the tiny town of Taylor, Texas, make sure this is a priority stop for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment